All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $47.38Trending at AU $49.05
- AU $74.38Trending at AU $75.94
- AU $22.12Trending at AU $22.83
- AU $35.50Trending at AU $38.73
- AU $26.74Trending at AU $37.24
- AU $17.60Trending at AU $22.87
- AU $37.61Trending at AU $38.49
About this product
- DescriptionWritten by a team of internationally respected experts, this book explores the conditions under which social policy, defined as the public pursuit of secure welfare, operates in the poorer regions of the world. Social policy in advanced capitalist countries operates through state intervention to compensate for the inadequate welfare outcomes of the labour market. Such welfare regimes cant easily be reproduced in poorer regions of the world where states suffer problems of governance and labour markets are imperfect and partial. Other welfare regimes therefore prevail involving n-state actors such as landlords, moneylenders and patrons. This book seeks to develop a conceptual framework for understanding different types of welfare regime in a range of countries in Asia, Latin America and Africa and makes an important contribution to the literature by breaking away from the traditional focus on Europe and North America.
- Author BiographyIan Gough is Professor of Social Policy at the University of Bath and Editor of the Journal of European Social Policy. Professor Geof Wood is Head of the Department of Economics and International Development and Director of the Institute for International Policy Analysis at the University of Bath. Armando Barrientos is Lecturer in Public Economics and Development at the Institute for Development and Management at the University of Manchester. Philippa Bevan is a Research Fellow in the Department of Sociology of Development at the University of Bath. Peter Davis is Lecturer in International Development at the University of Bath. Graham Room is Professor of European Social Policy at the University of Bath.
- Author(s)Armando Barrientos,Geof Wood,Graham Room,Ian Gough,Peter Davis,Philippa Bevan
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication11/12/2008
- SubjectSocial Issues, Services & Welfare
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content Note2 maps 17 tables
- Weight510 g
- Width152 mm
- Height228 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.