All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionInsensitive Semantics is an overview of and contribution to the debates about how to accommodate context sensitivity within a theory of human communication, investigating the effects of context on communicative interaction and, as a corollary, what a context of utterance is and what it is to be in one. This work: provides detailed and wide-ranging overviews of the central positions and arguments surrounding contextualism; addresses broad and varied aspects of the distinction between the semantic and n-semantic content of language; defends a distinctive and explanatorily powerful combination of semantic minimalism and speech act pluralism; and, confronts core problems which t only run to the heart of philosophy of language and linguistics, but which arise in epistemology, metaphysics, and moral philosophy as well.
- Author BiographyHerman Cappelen is Associate Professor of Philosophy at Vassar College and the University of Oslo. He has published extensively in philosophy of language and mind, including articles in Nous, Mind, Mind & Language, Analysis, and Synthese. Ernie Lepore is Professor of Philosophy at Rutgers University. He is author of Meaning and Argument (revised edition, Blackwell, 2003) and, with Jerry Fodor, of Holism (Blackwell, 1991). He is editor of Truth and Interpretation (Blackwell, 1989), and co-editor, with Zenon Pylyshyn, of What is Cognitive Science? (Blackwell, 1999), as well as general editor of the Blackwell series Philosophers and Their Critics.
- Author(s)Ernest LePore,Herman Cappelen
- PublisherJohn Wiley and Sons Ltd
- Date of Publication19/11/2004
- Place of PublicationOxford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintBlackwell Publishing Ltd
- Content Note0
- Weight334 g
- Width156 mm
- Height228 mm
- Spine13 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $12.99Trending at AU $19.32
- AU $61.30Trending at AU $73.53
- AU $82.00Trending at AU $99.37
- AU $36.79Trending at AU $38.16
- AU $50.16Trending at AU $55.69
- AU $20.18Trending at AU $24.51
- AU $26.40Trending at AU $33.66
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.