All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $47.37Trending at AU $49.47
- AU $74.26Trending at AU $76.60
- AU $22.10Trending at AU $23.03
- AU $35.49Trending at AU $39.06
- AU $26.74Trending at AU $37.56
- AU $17.58Trending at AU $23.07
- AU $37.61Trending at AU $38.86
About this product
- DescriptionInstitutions and Ecomic Performance explores the question of why income per capita varies so greatly across countries. Even taking into account disparities in resources, including physical and human capital, large ecomic discrepancies remain across countries. Why are some societies but t others able to encourage investments in places, people, and productivity?The answer, the book argues, lies to a large extent in institutional differences across societies. Such institutions are wide-ranging and include formal constitutional arrangements, the role of ecomic and political elites, informal institutions that promote investment and kwledge transfer, and others. Two core themes run through the contributors' essays. First, what constraints do institutions place on the power of the executive to prevent it from extorting the investments and effort of other people and institutions? Second, when are productive institutions self-enforcing? Institutions and Ecomic Performance is unique in its melding of ecomics, political science, history, and sociology to address its central question.
- Author BiographyElhanan Helpman is Galen L. Stone Professor of International Trade at Harvard University, and a Fellow at the Canadian Institute for Advanced Research. He is the author of many research articles and books, including The Mystery of Economic Growth (Harvard).
- PublisherHarvard University Press
- Date of Publication10/10/2008
- SubjectEconomics: Professional & General
- Place of PublicationCambridge, Mass
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintHarvard University Press
- Content Note50 line illustrations, 59 tables
- Weight1089 g
- Width155 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine48 mm
- Edited byElhanan Helpman
- Format DetailsSewn,Cloth over boards,With printed dust jacket
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.