All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIntellectual Property and Health Techlogies Balancing Invation and the Public's Health Joanna T. Brougher, Esq., MPH At first glance, ownership of intellectual property seems straightforward: the control over an invention or idea. But with the recent explosion of new scientific discoveries poised to transform public health and healthcare systems, costly and lengthy patent disputes threaten both to undermine the attempts to develop new medical techlogies and to keep potentially life-saving treatments from patients who need them. Intellectual Property and Health Techlogies grounds readers in patent law and explores how scientific research and enterprise are evolving in response. Geared specifically to the medical disciplines, it differentiates among forms of legal protection for inventors such as copyrights and patents, explains their limits, and argues for balance between competing forces of exclusivity and availability. Chapters delve into the major legal controversies concerning medical and biotechlogies in terms of pricing, markets, and especially the tension between invation and access, including: * The patent-eligibility of genes* The patent-eligibility of medical process patents* The rights and roles of universities and inventors* The balancing of access, invation, and profit in drug development* The tension between biologics, small-molecule drugs, and their generic counterparts* International patent law and access to medicine in the developing world As these issues continue to shape and define the debate, Intellectual Property and Health Techlogies enables professionals and graduate students in public health, health policy, healthcare administration, and medicine to understand patent law and how it affects the development of medical techlogy and the delivery of medicine.
- Author(s)Joanna Brougher
- PublisherSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Date of Publication07/11/2013
- SubjectMedicine: General
- Place of PublicationNew York, NY
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Content Note8 black & white illustrations, 1 black & white tables, biography
- Weight514 g
- Width155 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine14 mm
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $17.95Trending at AU $23.55
- AU $32.88Trending at AU $36.70
- AU $37.69Trending at AU $48.07
- AU $30.58Trending at AU $37.48
- AU $23.80Trending at AU $32.83
- AU $16.92Trending at AU $21.72
- AU $33.17Trending at AU $33.67
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.