All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWide-scale privatization has taken place in Africa, Latin America, Asia, the former Soviet Union and Eastern Europe. Revised to reflect new directions in development thought and policy, this text examines what has been learned about agricultural and rural ecomic development since the 1950s. With 24 of the book's 35 chapters new to this edition, the text takes into account recent developments in international agriculture, especially as these affected the role of the state, institutions and markets in development. The authors address three basic questions about agricultural development in low and middle income countries: What are the strategic roles of agriculture in national development strategies; How can the agrarian transformation be accelerated and how can rural ecomic development be promoted to generate jobs and reduce poverty in rural areas? Other topics include market failures, food insecurity, rural poverty, environmental degradation, income and asset inequality, fiscally sustainable organizations, the changing roles of the public and private sector in research, input delivery systems, marketing and low rates of agricultural growth in much of sub-Saharan Africa.
- Author BiographyCarl Eicher is the University Distinguished Professor in the Department of Agricultural Economics at Michigan State University. John M. Staatz is a professor n the Department of Agricultural Economics at Michigan State University.
- PublisherJohns Hopkins University Press
- Date of Publication22/10/1998
- SubjectSocial Studies: General
- Series TitleThe Johns Hopkins Studies in Development
- Place of PublicationBaltimore, MD
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintJohns Hopkins University Press
- Content Note14, 14 graphs
- Weight921 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine35 mm
- Edited byCarl K. Eicher,John M. Staatz
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
- Edition Statement3rd Revised edition
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $12.99Trending at AU $19.24
- AU $61.30Trending at AU $73.23
- AU $26.40Trending at AU $33.52
- AU $28.11Trending at AU $30.42
- AU $36.81Trending at AU $38.00
- AU $50.16Trending at AU $55.46
- AU $14.43Trending at AU $22.84
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.