All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $37.99Trending at AU $75.20
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $72.08
- AU $64.90Trending at AU $71.02
- AU $100.89Trending at AU $103.83
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.26
- AU $57.95Trending at AU $58.87
- AU $99.99Trending at AU $112.98
About this product
- DescriptionThis book illuminates the changing landscape and expediency of international education in global times. Within this larger picture, the book focuses on the educational effects of international encounters, experiences and lessons - the complex processes of learning and subject formation in play during and after one's international/intercultural experience. These complex processes, hinged on past and present self-other relations, are illustrated by employing the parable of The Elephant and the Blind Men. In contrast to more narrow, developmentalist conceptions of intercultural learning, Paul Tarc attends to each of the linguistic, existential, structural, and psychical dimensions of difficulty constituting learning across difference. Becoming aware of, and reflexive to, these dimensions of difficulty and their implications for one's own learning and resistance to learning, represents the domain of cosmopolitan literacy. The key intervention of this book is to re-conceive pedagogical processes and aims of international education as fostering such cosmopolitan literacy. Graduate courses on international education, study abroad, global citizenship education, and preservice education courses focusing on international education and teaching internationally could be primary candidates for this text.
- Author BiographyPaul Tarc received his PhD in culture, language, and teaching at York University, Toronto. He is Assistant Professor on the Faculty of Education at Western University in London, Ontario. His publications include Global Dreams, Enduring Tensions: International Baccalaureate in a Changing World (Peter Lang, 2009) and a chapter in Postcolonial Perspectives on Global Citizenship Education (2011).
- Author(s)Paul Tarc
- PublisherPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Date of Publication30/04/2013
- SubjectEducation & Teaching
- Series TitleGlobal Studies in Education
- Series Part/Volume Number10
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- First Published2013
- ImprintPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Weight240 g
- Width150 mm
- Height225 mm
- Spine10 mm
- Edition Statement1st New edition
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.