All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $37.99Trending at AU $75.20
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $72.08
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $71.02
- AU $100.89Trending at AU $103.83
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.26
- AU $57.95Trending at AU $58.87
- AU $99.99Trending at AU $112.98
About this product
- DescriptionAmerican art history is a remarkably young, but rapidly growing, discipline. Membership in the Association of Historians of American Art, founded in 1979, w totals nearly 600. As a result of this growth, geographical and cultural borders longer contain the field. American art history has become 'internationalized', represented by scholars and exhibitions around the globe. While this international transmission and exchange of ideas will certainly prove to be valuable, it has been left largely unexamined. Internationalizing the History of American Art begins a critical examination of this exchange, showing how it has become part of the maturation of American art history. In this volume, a distinguished group of scholars considers the shaping and dissemination of the history of American art domestically and internationally, past and present, theoretically and practically, from a variety of intellectual positions and experiences. To do so, they draw on a literature that, collectively, constitutes a bibliography for the future of the field. Three sections - 'American Art and Art History', 'Display and Exposition', and 'Post-1945 Investments' - provide the structure in which the contributors examine the existing narrative framework for the history of American art. This examination indicates a direction for the field and a future historiography that is shaped by international dialog. In addition to the editors, the contributors are Derrick Cartwright, David Peters Corbett, Serge Guilbaut, Andrew Hemingway, Sophie Levy, Christin Mamiya, Marylin McKay, Veerle Thielemans, and Rebecca Zurier.
- Author BiographyBarbara Groseclose is Professor and Graduate Chair in the Department of the History of Art at Ohio State University. Jochen Wierich is Curator of Art at Cheekwood Botanical Garden and Museum of Art.
- PublisherPennsylvania State University Press
- Date of Publication28/05/2009
- SubjectFine Arts / Art History
- Place of PublicationUniversity Park
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintPennsylvania State University Press
- Content Note15 illustrations
- Weight748 g
- Width177 mm
- Height254 mm
- Spine25 mm
- Edited byBarbara Groseclose,Jochen Wierich
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.