All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn this pioneering book, Christopher Whitehead provides an overview and critique of art interpretation practices in museums and galleries. Covering the philosophy and sociology of art, traditions in art history and art display, the psychology of the aesthetic experience and ideas about learning and communication, Whitehead advances major theoretical frameworks for understanding interpretation from curators' and visitors' perspectives. Although t a manual, the book is deeply practical. It presents extensively researched European and North American case studies involving interviews with professionals engaged in significant cutting-edge interpretation projects. Finally, it sets out the ethical and political responsibilities of institutions and professionals engaged in art interpretation. Exploring the theoretical and practical dimensions of art interpretation in accessible language, this book covers: * The construction of art by museums and galleries, in the form of collections, displays, exhibition and discourse; * The historical and political dimensions of art interpretation; * The functioning of narrative, categories and chrologies in art displays; * Practices, discourses and problems surrounding the interpretation of historical and contemporary art; * Visitor experiences and questions of authorship and accessibility; * The role of exhibition texts, new interpretive techlogies and live interpretation in art museum and gallery contexts. Thoroughly researched with immediately practical applications, Interpreting Art in Museums and Galleries will inform the practices of art curators and those studying the subject.
- Author BiographyChris Whitehead teaches Museum, Gallery and Heritage Studies and runs the Art Museum and Gallery Studies postgraduate programme at the International Centre for Cultural and Heritage Studies, Newcastle University, UK. He has substantial experience of developing interpretive resources in museums and galleries and is the author of numerous books and articles in the field of museum studies.
- Author(s)Christopher Whitehead
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication02/12/2011
- SubjectThe Arts: General & Reference
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note43 black & white halftones, 4 black & white line drawings
- Weight362 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine13 mm
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $17.95Trending at AU $23.55
- AU $32.88Trending at AU $36.70
- AU $37.69Trending at AU $48.07
- AU $30.58Trending at AU $37.48
- AU $23.80Trending at AU $32.83
- AU $16.92Trending at AU $21.72
- AU $33.17Trending at AU $33.67
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.