All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.82
- AU $11.51Trending at AU $18.80
- AU $64.07Trending at AU $74.86
- AU $28.70Trending at AU $36.95
- AU $44.96Trending at AU $47.10
- AU $25.61Trending at AU $28.23
- AU $9.83Trending at AU $13.31
About this product
- DescriptionA compelling chronicle of a hiking and wildlife research expedition along the length of the Carpathian Mountains, from Romania to Poland, some 1,700 miles as the crow flies. (This volume, Part 1, covers the first half of the journey, through Romania and Ukraine.) On the trail of wolves, we are led deep into the dark forests, misty hills, and intriguing history of this fabled landscape, where encounters with wolves, bears, and lynx; werewolves, vampires, and witches; lumberjacks, shepherds, and recluses; poets, tyrants, and saints; deities, demons, and sirens; and historical figures such as Attila the Hun, Vlad the Impaler, and Volodymyr the Great provide broad insight into the natural, historical, and mythological forces that have shaped, and continue to shape, the cultures, nations, and psyches along the way. 63 beautiful color photographs also emblaze this memorable trek.
- Author BiographyAlan E. Sparks is the award-winning author of Dreaming of Wolves, and has written articles about wolves for International Wolf Magazine and other publications. He has bachelor and master s degrees in physics and engineering from the University of Maine and Stanford University, and has completed post-secondary courses in writing, philosophy, sociology, psychology, painting, acting, exercise physiology, and film making. He worked for over twenty years developing advanced technologies for one of the leading research and development organizations in the world (Bell Telephone Laboratories), and has recently worked overseas as an English teacher and commercial actor. An avid walker, hiker, backcountry skier, and animal tracker, Alan has lived, worked, and trekked extensively in the wilds of Central and Eastern Europe. He is a voracious reader and enjoys studying the natural and cultural histories of the places he visits. To supplement his indoor studies, he has completed courses in mountaineering with the Colorado Mountain Club, mountain ski touring/expedition leadership with the National Outdoor Leadership School, and winter ecology/animal tracking with renowned animal tracker Dr. James Halfpenny of A Naturalist s World. He currently resides alternately in Boulder, Colorado; Portland, Maine; and Krakow, Poland.
- Author(s)Alan E Sparks
- PublisherRainy Day Publishing Inc
- Date of Publication10/12/2015
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectTravel Writing
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintRainy Day Publishing Inc
- Content Note, colour illustrations
- Weight640 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine25 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.