All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $52.98Trending at AU $79.06
- AU $70.86Trending at AU $126.78
- AU $6.83Trending at AU $10.44
- AU $26.88Trending at AU $29.49
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $22.27
- AU $36.48Trending at AU $41.41
- AU $40.00Trending at AU $40.65
About this product
- DescriptionThat Gaelic monasticism flourished in the early medieval period is well established. The Irish School penetrated large areas of Europe and contemporary authors describe North Atlantic travels and settlements. Across Scotland and beyond, Celtic-speaking communities spread into the wild and windswept rth, marking hundreds of Atlantic settlements with carved and rock-cut sculpture. They were followed in the Viking Age by Scandinavians who dominated the Atlantic waters and settled the Atlantic rim. With Into the Ocean, Kristjan Ahronson makes two dramatic claims: that there were people in Iceland almost a century before Viking settlers first arrived c. AD 870, and that there was a tangible relationship between the early Christian Irish communities of the Atlantic zone and the Scandinavians who followed them. Ahronson uses archaeological, paleoecological, and literary evidence to support his claims, analysing evidence ranging from pap place names in the Scottish islands to volcanic airfall in Iceland. An interdisciplinary analysis of a subject that has intrigued scholars for generations, Into the Ocean will challenge the assumptions of anyone interested in the Atlantic branch of the Celtic world.
- Author BiographyKristjan Ahronson is Lecturer in Archaeology at Prifysgol Bangor University in Wales.
- Author(s)Kristjan Ahronson
- PublisherUniversity of Toronto Press
- Date of Publication04/03/2015
- SubjectRegional History
- Series TitleToronto Old Norse-Icelandic Series (Tonis)
- Series Part/Volume Number8
- Place of PublicationToronto
- Country of PublicationCanada
- ImprintUniversity of Toronto Press
- Content Note79
- Weight540 g
- Width160 mm
- Height238 mm
- Spine24 mm
- Format DetailsWith dust jacket
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.