All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIntra-Industry Trade calls for us to rethink what trade most often looks like and how it shapes global institutions, fostering peace among states. Cameron G. Thies and Timothy M. Peterson argue that our understanding of trade has t kept pace with its changing nature in the 21st century; existing models, rooted in Ricardo's theories, regard trade uniformly as taking place between entities and countries that offer different commodities and operate according to the logic of comparative advantage. Though this type of exchange does take place, intra-industry trade-international trade of the same or similar commodities, in which foreign and domestic brands compete-is increasingly prevalent. The authors argue that our current academic and policymaking focus on the total volume of trade, rather than its composition, is misplaced. Trade composition matters, t just because it gives us a fuller understanding of how trade works, but also because intra-industry trade increases the likelihood of positive institutional relations and cooperation between states. To illustrate their point, the authors examine the effects that intra-industry trade has on Preferential Trade Agreement formation, its tendency to lessen World Trade Organization disputes and militarized conflict, and its ability to pave the way for new and fortified alliances.
- Author BiographyCameron G. Thies is Professor of Political Science and Director of the School of Politics and Global Studies at Arizona State University. Timothy M. Peterson is an Associate Professor of Political Science at the University of South Carolina.
- Author(s)Cameron G. Thies,Timothy M. Peterson
- PublisherStanford University Press
- Date of Publication28/10/2015
- SubjectEconomics: Professional & General
- Series TitleEmerging Frontiers in the Global Economy
- Place of PublicationPalo Alto
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintStanford University Press
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight408 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Format DetailsCloth
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.88Trending at AU $71.09
- AU $32.48Trending at AU $38.03
- AU $28.53Trending at AU $29.47
- AU $28.02Trending at AU $30.57
- AU $30.98Trending at AU $39.95
- AU $11.25Trending at AU $14.82
- AU $25.62Trending at AU $32.82
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.