Intrepid Voyagers: Stories of the World's Most Adventurous Sailors by Tom Lochhaas (Paperback, 2003)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $34.82+ AU $10.00 postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by roxy*books
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $20.93+ AU $4.99 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by whattaplace
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionA lone man in a small sailboat races around the world with competitors and gives birth to an exciting new sport; a teenage New York City bicycle messenger circumnavigates the globe alone in lieu of going to college; a series of minimalist sailors compete to see who can cross the Atlantic in the smallest boat: these are just a few of the dauntless adventurers whose stories you'll find in Intrepid Voyagers. This inspiring collection of modern nautical adventures introduces daring men and women from diverse backgrounds who embarked on epic voyages across great oceans and around the globe. Each of these mariners went to sea for personal reasons, but at the center of each tale is a pure love of sailing coupled with a relentless urge to live large and explore.These true stories, all but one of which were written by the sailors themselves, are filled with their authors' passion and enthusiasm for sailing, the sea, and the process of discovery itself. Separated into four categories, Singlehanders, Long-Distance Racers, Little Boats, and Human Drama, these rousing accounts describe some of the most table and celebrated achievements in recent nautical history - fastest times, smallest boats, youngest sailors, and more. You'll meet Vito Dumas, who challenged the riotous seas of the Roaring Forties and became first person to round Cape Horn alone and survive; Alain Bombard, who tested his theories about surviving a shipwreck by crossing the Atlantic in a tiny sailing raft without taking food or water; and Naomi James, who became the first female solo circumnavigator and beat Francis Chichester's time in the process.You'll also find riveting accounts of: Hugo Vihlen's Atlantic crossing in the 6-foot April Fool; Dodge Morgan's record-breaking circumnavigation; Val Howells' voyage of self-discovery during a transatlantic race; Ellen MacArthur's thrilling finish in the Vendee Globe Donald; Crowhurst's strange final voyage; and many more.Brimming with the independent spirit of the small-boat mariner, these vivid tales create a striking portrait of the challenges, labors, fears, and rich rewards of long-distance sailing. Intrepid Voyagers offers instructive, compelling reading, whether you're planning an epic voyage of your own or prefer to challenge the elements from the comfort of your armchair. Eighteen chronicles from men and women who sailed to the ends of the earth and returned to tell about it. Eighteen windows to life on a big sea in a small sailboat. Fasten your safety harness!
- Author BiographyTom Lochhaas is a book editor and the author of short stories, critical essays, and boating articles. He is also the editor of Treacherous Waters: Stories of Sailors in the Clutch of the Sea, the companion volume to Intrepid Voyagers. A lifelong student of sailing literature, he is preparing for his own transatlantic voyage.
- Author(s)Tom Lochhaas
- PublisherMcGraw-Hill Education - Europe
- Date of Publication01/07/2003
- SubjectWater Sports
- Series TitleInternational Marine-RMP
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintMcGraw-Hill Professional
- Content Note20 photographs, 10 line illustrations
- Weight529 g
- Width149 mm
- Height223 mm
- Spine29 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.88
- AU $11.51Trending at AU $18.83
- AU $24.83Trending at AU $25.29
- AU $67.69Trending at AU $75.12
- AU $31.51Trending at AU $36.97
- AU $44.28Trending at AU $47.12
- AU $25.61Trending at AU $28.48
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.