All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionProviding a solid foundation in second language acquisition, this book has become the leading introduction to the subject for students of linguistics, psychology and education, and trainee language teachers. Now in its third edition, the textbook offers comprehensive coverage of fundamental concepts, including second language acquisition (SLA) in adults and children, in formal and informal learning contexts, and in diverse socio-cultural settings, and takes an interdisciplinary approach, encouraging students to consider SLA from linguistic, psychological and social perspectives. Each chapter contains a list of key terms, a summary, and a range of graded exercises suitable for self-testing and class discussion. The third edition has been revised throughout, and features new material on the practical aspects of teaching language, along with updated online resources, including new classroom activities to accompany each chapter, as well as updated references and further reading suggestions.
- Author BiographyMuriel Saville-Troike is Professor Emerita of the University of Arizona, and was named Regents' Professor of English before her retirement. She has made significant contributions to the fields of sociolinguistics and applied linguistics, and has previously held posts at Texas A&M University, the University of Texas, Georgetown University, and the University of Illinois. Saville-Troike is a past President of TESOL, and was made a Distinguished Scholar by the American Educational Research Association Standing Committee on the Role and Status of Minorities in Educational Research. Karen Barto holds an interdisciplinary PhD in Second Language Acquisition and Teaching from the University of Arizona, and is a Content Developer and Lecturer at the university's Center for English as a Second Language. She has taught French, English applied linguistics and English as a second language in several contexts. She has designed, developed and taught teacher training classes and programs, as well as conducting linguistic and psycholinguistic research. Also an avid student of foreign language herself, she has studied French, German, Italian, Spanish, Lao and Latin.
- Author(s)Karen Barto,Muriel Saville-Troike
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication15/12/2016
- Series TitleCambridge Introductions to Language and Linguistics
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content Note5 b/w illus. 2 colour illus. 23 tables 63 exercises
- Weight510 g
- Width174 mm
- Height247 mm
- Spine14 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
- Edition Statement3rd Revised edition
Save on Textbooks
- AU $39.95Trending at AU $54.70
- AU $69.88Trending at AU $71.60
- AU $18.90Trending at AU $23.23
- AU $32.44Trending at AU $38.31
- AU $53.34Trending at AU $56.23
- AU $28.48Trending at AU $29.68
- AU $45.07Trending at AU $52.29
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.