Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.09
- AU $166.95Trending at AU $170.17
- AU $105.90Trending at AU $117.55
- AU $98.79Trending at AU $108.59
- AU $104.89Trending at AU $106.99
- AU $49.74Trending at AU $52.38
- AU $92.78Trending at AU $105.54
About this product
- DescriptionSemantics is the study of meaning in language. This clear and comprehensive textbook provides an introduction to the subject for undergraduate students. It t only equips students with the concepts they need in order to understand the main aspects of semantics, it also introduces the styles of reasoning and argument which characterise the field. It contains more than 200 exercises and discussion questions designed to test and deepen readers' understanding. More inclusive than other textbooks, it clearly explains and contrasts different theoretical approaches, summarises current debates, and provides helpful suggestions for further reading. Examples are drawn both from major world languages, such as Mandarin Chinese, Japanese, Arabic, Spanish and English, and from mirity ones. The book also highlights the connections between semantics and the wider study of human language in psychology, anthropology, and linguistics itself.
- Author BiographyNick Riemer is a Lecturer in the English and Linguistics departments at the University of Sydney. His recent publications include The Semantics of Polysemy: Reading Meaning in English and Warlpiri (2005).
- Author(s)Nick Riemer
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication25/03/2010
- Series TitleCambridge Introductions to Language and Linguistics
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content Note27 b/w illus. 18 tables
- Weight960 g
- Width174 mm
- Height247 mm
- Spine27 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.