All listings for this product
About this product
- Description<b>Featuring full-color photographs and illustrations throughout, this text is a comprehensive guide to Japanese culture.</b> The richness of Japan's history is rewned worldwide. The heritage of culture that its society has produced and passed on to future generations is one of Japan's greatest accomplishments. In <i>Introduction to Japanese Culture</i>, you'll read an overview, through sixty-eight original and informative essays, of Japan's most table cultural achievements, including: <ul><li>Religion, Zen Buddhism, arranged marriages and Bushido</li><li>Drama and Art--from pottery, painting and calligraphy to haiku, kabuki and karate</li><li>Cuisine--everything from rice to raw fish</li><li>Home and Recreation, from board games such as Go to origami, kimos and Japanese gardens</li></ul>The Japan of today is a fully modern, Westernized society in nearly every regard. Even so, the elements of an earlier age are clearly visible in the country's arts, festivals, and customs. This book focuses on the essential constants that remain in present-day Japan and their counterparts in Western culture. Edited by Daniel Sosski, an American writer who has lived in Japan since 1985, these well-researched articles, color photographs, and line illustrations provide a compact guide to aspects of Japan that often puzzle the outside observer. <i>Introduction to Japanese Culture</i> is wonderfully informative, a needed primer on the cultural make-up and behaviors of the Japanese. This book is certain to fascinate the student, tourist, or anyone who seeks to kw and understand Japanese culture, Japanese etiquette, and the history of Japan.
- Author Biography<b>Daniel Sosnoski</b> is an American writer who has lived in Japan since 1985. His experiences as an editor of travel and cultural guides have taken him the length and breadth of Japan and given him an appreciation of the country's natural beauty. He continues to explore and discover new elements of the land and its people.
- Author(s)Daniel Sosnoski,Narumi Yasuda
- PublisherTuttle Shokai Inc
- Date of Publication01/05/2014
- SubjectTravel & Holiday Guides: General
- Place of PublicationKanagawa
- Country of PublicationJapan
- ImprintTuttle Shokai Inc
- Content Notefull-colour photos and illus throughout
- Weight399 g
- Width184 mm
- Height254 mm
- Spine8 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.30Trending at AU $73.28
- AU $82.00Trending at AU $99.54
- AU $50.16Trending at AU $55.78
- AU $33.32Trending at AU $36.33
- AU $36.16Trending at AU $48.86
- AU $18.16Trending at AU $21.21
- AU $25.01Trending at AU $27.39
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.