All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $5.72Trending at AU $8.52
- AU $63.09Trending at AU $76.70
- AU $74.23Trending at AU $76.09
- AU $35.53Trending at AU $38.80
- AU $31.81Trending at AU $37.29
- AU $17.56Trending at AU $22.92
- AU $10.39Trending at AU $15.38
About this product
- DescriptionThis book is exceptional in the sense that it provides an introduction to law in general rather than the law of one specific jurisdiction, and it presents a unique way of looking at legal education. It is crucial for lawyers to be aware of the different ways in which societal problems can be solved and to be able to discuss the advantages and disadvantages of different legal solutions. In this respect, being a lawyer involves being able to reason like a lawyer, even more than having detailed kwledge of particular sets of rules. Introduction to Law reflects this view by focusing on the functions of rules and on ways of arguing the relative qualities of alternative legal solutions. Where 'positive' law is discussed, the emphasis is on the legal questions that must be addressed by a field of law and on the different solutions which have been adopted by, for instance, the common law and civil law tradition. The law of specific jurisdictions is discussed to illustrate possible answers to questions such as when the existence of a valid contract is assumed.
- Author BiographyJaap Hage is Professor of Jurisprudence at Maastricht University and Fellow of the Maastricht European Private Law Institute (M-EPLI), Maastricht University. Bram Akkermans is Assistant Professor European Private Law and Associate-Director of the Maastricht European Private Law Institute (M-EPLI), Maastricht University.
- PublisherSpringer International Publishing AG
- Date of Publication12/08/2014
- SubjectLaw: General & Reference
- Place of PublicationCham
- Country of PublicationSwitzerland
- ImprintSpringer International Publishing AG
- Content Note14 black & white illustrations, biography
- Weight733 g
- Width155 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine21 mm
- Edited byBram Akkermans,Jaap Hage
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.