All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis book provides readers with the skills they need to write computer codes that simulate convection, internal gravity waves, and magnetic field generation in the interiors and atmospheres of rotating planets and stars. Using a teaching method perfected in the classroom, Gary Glatzmaier begins by offering a step-by-step guide on how to design codes for simulating nlinear time-dependent thermal convection in a two-dimensional box using Fourier expansions in the horizontal direction and finite differences in the vertical direction. He then describes how to implement more efficient and accurate numerical methods and more realistic geometries in two and three dimensions. In the third part of the book, Glatzmaier demonstrates how to incorporate more sophisticated physics, including the effects of magnetic field, density stratification, and rotation. Featuring numerous exercises throughout, this is an ideal textbook for students and an essential resource for researchers. * Describes how to create codes that simulate the internal dynamics of planets and stars * Builds on basic concepts and simple methods * Shows how to improve the efficiency and accuracy of the numerical methods * Describes more relevant geometries and boundary conditions * Demonstrates how to incorporate more sophisticated physics
- Author BiographyGary A. Glatzmaier is professor of earth and planetary sciences at the University of California, Santa Cruz. He is a fellow of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences and a member of the National Academy of Sciences.
- Author(s)Gary A. Glatzmaier
- PublisherPrinceton University Press
- Date of Publication03/12/2013
- Series TitlePrinceton Series in Astrophysics
- Place of PublicationNew Jersey
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintPrinceton University Press
- Content Note16 color illus. 19 halftones. 23 line illus. 2 tables.
- Weight571 g
- Width152 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $33.15Trending at AU $35.14
- AU $72.88Trending at AU $77.86
- AU $32.75Trending at AU $55.58
- AU $91.99Trending at AU $100.05
- AU $8.59Trending at AU $14.01
- AU $82.00Trending at AU $96.28
- AU $39.56Trending at AU $42.72
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.