All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionUnderstanding the way in which nutrients are metabolised, and hence the principles of biochemistry, is essential for understanding the scientific basis of what we would call a healthy diet. Extensively revised and updated to reflect current kwledge of nutritional and dietary requirements, Introduction to Nutrition and Metabolism, Fifth Edition presents an accessible text on the basic principles of nutrition and metabolism and the biochemistry needed for comprehending the science of nutrition. This full-color text explores the need for food and the uses to which that food is put in the body, as well as the interactions between health and diet. It describes the metabolic pathways and the biochemical basis of their nutritional and physiological importance. Topics covered include chemical reactions and catalysis by enzymes; the role of ATP; digestion and absorption of carbohydrates, fats, and proteins; issues associated with being overweight; problems of malnutrition; and vitamin and mineral requirements and functions. This new edition contains significantly expanded information on a variety of subjects including appetite control, hormone action, and integration and control of metabolism. The fifth edition also includes a list of key points at the end of each chapter. This text explains the conclusions of the experts who have deliberated on nutritional requirements, diet, and health, as well as the scientific basis for the conclusions they have reached. It also provides a foundation of scientific kwledge for the interpretation and evaluation of future advances in nutrition and health sciences. The accompanying CD-ROM contains new interactive tutorial exercises, PowerPoint presentations for each chapter, self-assessment quizzes, simulations of laboratory experiments, and a nutrient analysis program.
- Author BiographyDavid A. Bender received his PhD from the University of London on the metabolism of aromatic amino acids. He retired from University College London (UCL) in 2011, with the title of emeritus professor, and continues to give a number of lectures on nutrition to medical and science students, both at UCL and at the University of Surrey. From 1994 until retirement, he was assistant faculty tutor to the medical students, and from 1998 he was subdean (education) and director of studies for the early years of the medical course at UCL. His research interests have been in the field of amino acid and vitamin nutritional biochemistry, and he was a member of the working group on vitamins that formed part of the expert committee that produced the 1991 report on Dietary Reference Values for Food Energy and Nutrients for the United Kingdom, the EU expert committee that produced the 1993 report on Nutrient and Energy Intakes for the European Community, and the Food Safety Authority of Ireland working party on Safe Micronutrient Levels.
- Author(s)David A. Bender
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Inc
- Date of Publication07/04/2014
- SubjectMedicine: General
- Place of PublicationBosa Roca
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintCRC Press Inc
- Content Note218 colour illustrations, 84 black & white tables
- Weight975 g
- Width178 mm
- Height254 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Edition Statement5th Revised edition
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $3.76Trending at AU $7.42
- AU $27.81Trending at AU $30.93
- AU $19.24Trending at AU $26.96
- AU $28.03Trending at AU $32.03
- AU $71.17Trending at AU $80.38
- AU $13.99Trending at AU $15.78
- AU $25.16Trending at AU $27.13
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.