All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $94.99Trending at AU $106.80
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.51
- AU $104.90Trending at AU $118.13
- AU $98.79Trending at AU $108.21
- AU $99.99Trending at AU $107.74
- AU $92.78Trending at AU $106.06
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $87.61
About this product
- DescriptionThis volume introduces ancient Israel's Scriptures, or the Hebrew Bible, commonly called the Old Testament. It also traces the legacy of motheism first found in the pages of the Old Testament. Where pertinent to the message of the Old Testament, the book explores issues of history, comparative religions, and sociology, while striking a balance among these topics by focusing primarily on literary features of the text. In addition, frequent sidebar discussions introduce the reader to contemporary scholarship, especially the results of historical-critical research and archaeology. Along the way, the book explores how the Old Testament conceptualized and gave rise to motheism, one of the most significant developments in history, giving this study a currency for twenty-first-century readers.
- Author BiographyBill T. Arnold is the Paul S. Amos Professor of Old Testament Interpretation at Asbury Theological Seminary. He is the author of numerous books and articles in biblical studies, including Genesis (The New Cambridge Bible Commentary Series, Cambridge University Press, 2009) and A Guide to Biblical Hebrew Syntax (with John H. Choi, Cambridge University Press, 2003). He is also the co-editor of Dictionary of the Old Testament: Historical Books (with H. G. M. Williamson, 2005) and Readings from the Ancient Near East: Primary Sources for Old Testament Study (with Bryan E. Bayer, 2002), and author of Who Were the Babylonians? (2004) and 1 and 2 Samuel: The NIV Application Commentary (2003).
- Author(s)Bill T. Arnold
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication07/04/2014
- SubjectChristianity: Bibles & Liturgy
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content Note61 b/w illus. 13 colour illus. 20 maps
- Weight1080 g
- Width187 mm
- Height247 mm
- Spine22 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.