All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis book offers an up-to-date, compact presentation of basic topics in the physics of matter, from atoms to molecules to solids, including elements of statistical mechanics. The adiabatic separation of the motion of electrons and nuclei in matter and its spectroscopic implications are outlined for molecules and recalled regularly in the study of the dynamics of gases and solids. Numerous experiments are described and more than 160 figures give a clear visual impression of the main concepts. Sufficient detail of mathematical derivations is provided to enable students to follow easily. The focus is on present-day understanding and especially on phemena fitting various independent-particle models. The historical development of this understanding, and phemena such as magnetism and superconductivity, where interparticle interactions and nadiabatic effects play a crucial role, are mostly omitted. A final outlook section stimulates the curiosity of the reader to pursue the study of such advanced topics in graduate courses.
- Author BiographyNicola Manini is an Associate Professor in the Physics Department of the University of Milan, Italy. In 1995, he obtained a PhD in Condensed Matter Theory at SISSA - Trieste, and he has maintained regular collaboration with SISSA since then. He has worked at Yale University, USA, and also at ESRF Grenoble, France. His research has covered various topics in the theory and simulation of matter, including: the role of solitonic waves in atomic-scale friction, electronic and vibrational properties of metals, semiconductors, molecular materials, fullerene, geometric phases and the Jahn-Teller effect, and the collective dynamics of ultracold atomic gases.
- Author(s)Nicola Manini
- PublisherSpringer International Publishing AG
- Date of Publication16/01/2015
- Series TitleUndergraduate Lecture Notes in Physics
- Place of PublicationCham
- Country of PublicationSwitzerland
- ImprintSpringer International Publishing AG
- Content Note106 black & white illustrations, 59 colour illustrations, biography
- Weight444 g
- Width155 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine15 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $24.61Trending at AU $33.14
- AU $17.87Trending at AU $22.29
- AU $43.47Trending at AU $44.45
- AU $25.92Trending at AU $34.12
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.33
- AU $36.24Trending at AU $40.06
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $76.61
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.