All listings for this product
About this product
- Description'Introductory Dynamical Oceagraphy' 2nd ed provides an introduction to Dynamical Physical Oceagraphy at a level suitable for senior year undergraduate students in the sciences and for graduate students entering oceagraphy. It aims to present the basic objectives, procedures and successes and to state some of the present limitations of dynamical oceagraphy and its relations to descriptive physical oceagraphy. The first edition has been thoroughly revised and updated and the new work includes reference to the Practical Salinity Scale 1978, the International Equation of State 1980 and the beta-spiral technique for calculating absolute currents from the density distribution. In addition the description of mixed-layer models has been updated and the chapters on Waves and on Tides have been substantially revised and enlarged, with emphasis on internal waves in the Waves chapter. While the text is self-contained readers are recommended to acquaint themselves with the general aspects of descriptive (syptic) oceagraphy in order to be aware of the character of the ocean which the dynamical oceagrapher is attempting to explain by referring to Pickard and Emery's 'Descriptive Physical Oceagraphy' 4th edition.
- Author BiographyGeorge Pickard (1913-2007) was a Professor of Oceanography at the University of British Columbia (UBC) and was Director of the UBC Institute of Oceanography from 1958 to 1978. He received his B.A. and his Ph.D. in physics from Oxford. He was appointed to the UBC physics department after service in WWII. George was a Fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Science, the Royal Society of Canada, and the National Geographic Society.
- Author(s)George L. Pickard,Stephen Pond
- PublisherElsevier Science & Technology
- Date of Publication27/10/1983
- SubjectGeography & Earth Science: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Place of PublicationOxford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintButterworth-Heinemann Ltd
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight490 g
- Width155 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
- Edition Statement2nd Revised edition
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $17.95Trending at AU $23.55
- AU $32.88Trending at AU $36.70
- AU $37.69Trending at AU $48.07
- AU $30.58Trending at AU $37.48
- AU $23.80Trending at AU $32.83
- AU $16.92Trending at AU $21.72
- AU $33.17Trending at AU $33.67
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.