All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn 1998, the series Charmed , the story created by Constance M. Burge of three sisters who discover that they are powerful witches, first aired on the WB network. The series ran for eight series and into top-rating DVDs, and has established a continuing presence as cult TV. The world of Charmed is distinctively one of female solidarity, with sisters Piper, Prudence, Phoebe and, with the death of Pru, half-sister Paige making up the 'power of three'. In their crusade against the demonic population of their home city of San Francisco, the Halliwell sisters have also inherited their powers and The Book of Shadows through the female line. The expert contributors to Investigating 'Charmed' , all of them fans of the show, explore its nature as ground breaking TV. They debate the status of Charmed as third wave feminist narrative, as well as its upturning of tions of sexuality, and its creation of alternative forms of family life. The San Francisco setting is explored as is Charmed's brand of witchcraft and fantasy, its mythological antecedents and female heroes. Looking also at the fans' relationship to the show, as well as its velizations, fan fiction and blogs, the book on this fantastic magical show concludes with a complete Episode Guide.
- Author BiographyStan Beeler is Chair of English at the University of Northern British Columbia, Canada. His publications include 'Reading Stargate: SG-1' (co-edited with Lisa Dickson) published by I.B. Tauris in 2006. Karin Beeler is an Associate Professor in the English Department and Chair of Anthropology at the University of Northern British Columbia. She is the author of 'Tattoos, Desire and Violence: Marks of Resistance in Literature, Film and Television'.
- Author(s)Karin Beeler,Stan Beeler
- PublisherI.B.Tauris & Co Ltd.
- Date of Publication28/11/2007
- SubjectFilm, TV & Radio
- Series TitleInvestigating Cult TV Series
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Noteblack & white line drawings
- Weight295 g
- Width134 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine15 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $37.99Trending at AU $75.40
- AU $64.90Trending at AU $71.21
- AU $93.88Trending at AU $107.51
- AU $100.89Trending at AU $104.10
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.47
- AU $55.80Trending at AU $57.00
- AU $99.99Trending at AU $113.28
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.