All listings for this product
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $7.43Trending at AU $12.05
- AU $13.21Trending at AU $15.11
- AU $11.92Trending at AU $16.07
- AU $19.18Trending at AU $23.93
- AU $20.41Trending at AU $30.97
- AU $19.94Trending at AU $23.06
- AU $19.43Trending at AU $23.45
About this product
- DescriptionInvestigations of a Dog (German: Forschungen eines Hundes ) is a short story by Franz Kafka (3 July 1883 - 3 June 1924) written in 1922. It was published posthumously in 1931. Kafka wanted his unfinished manuscripts to be destroyed by his friend Max Brod, who netheless published them after Kafka's death, including this one. In Investigations of a Dog, a dog tells of his attempts to make sense of his life and condition in the most rational and scientific manner of which he is capable. The reader kws things that the dog in his limited understanding cant grasp, which creates dramatic irony. With numerous self-contradictory statements by the dog and hilarious word choices (for example, mentioning scientific pursuits and basest body functions in one breath), the story presents a humorous and timelessly valid reflection on anthropocentrism and scientific hubris. And when you take your dog for a walk next time, you may be less impatient when it insists on lots of conscientious inspection in selecting the best place for watering the ground. In contrast to previous efforts, the present translation attempts to transport Kafka's poetically plain language into modern usage, avoiding latinate termilogy that would lend the text pretensions that the original simply does t have.
- Author BiographyPhilipp Strazny was born and raised in Germany and moved to the United States as a young adult. He studied English Philology at the University of Cologne and Linguistics at the University of Wisconsin-Madison. After freelancing as a technical translator for a number of years, he joined The Geo Group, a translation agency, where he holds a full-time position as IT and Localization Manager.
- Author(s)Franz Kafka
- PublisherCreatespace Independent Publishing Platform
- Date of Publication05/11/2016
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintCreatespace Independent Publishing Platform
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight54 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine2 mm
- Translated byPhilipp Strazny
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.