Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $14.50Trending at AU $17.20
- AU $72.88Trending at AU $77.86
- AU $32.75Trending at AU $55.58
- AU $91.99Trending at AU $100.05
- AU $29.99Trending at AU $32.19
- AU $82.00Trending at AU $96.28
- AU $19.03Trending at AU $22.17
About this product
- DescriptionThis book is a comprehensive study of the subject of ionic interactions in macromolecules. The first parts of the book review and analyze the conventional treatments of fixed charges (e.g. in polyelectrolytes and polyampholytes), including screening and condensation by mobile ions. The interaction of ions with less polar sites on the macromolecule (e.g. amide bonds), and the origin of the lyotropic effects (focusing on binding versus condensation) will also be extensively addressed. The book also explores complex micellar organizations involving charged macromolecules (e.g. DNA) and low-molecular-weight ampholytes and strong protein associations. The resulting structures are relevant to a variety of functional biological systems and synthetic analogs. The contribution of electrostatic and hydrophobic interaction to the stability of proteins and other supramolecular structures will also be analyzed. There are chapters on applications such as deionization and cosmetic formulation. This 21-chapter book is divided into three sections: * Fundamentals * Mixed Interactions * Functions and Applications
- Author BiographyAlberto Ciferri is currently a Visiting Professor at Duke University, an Associate at the National Research Council (ISMAC), and President of the Jepa-Limmat Foundation, which is devoted to advanced education in developing countries. His research has had significant impact in the areas of the rheological properties of natural and synthetic polymers, fibrous proteins, interactions between salts and macromolecules, liquid crystals, and supramolecular assemblies. Angelo Perico is Research Director at the National Research Council, associated with the Institute for Macromolecular Studies, in Genoa, Italy. Dr. Perico's research is related to theory and modeling of synthetic and biological macromolecules and their dynamics, assembly, and functions, particularly the interactions among oppositely and similarly charged polyelectrolytes and on the electrostatic effects that promote the formation of complex biomolecular structures.
- PublisherJohn Wiley and Sons Ltd
- Date of Publication23/02/2012
- Place of PublicationHoboken
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight1580 g
- Width163 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine44 mm
- Edited byAlberto Ciferri,Angelo Perico
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.