All listings for this product
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $17.90Trending at AU $23.11
- AU $62.03Trending at AU $75.70
- AU $31.43Trending at AU $36.86
- AU $30.95Trending at AU $34.21
- AU $26.99Trending at AU $31.05
- AU $37.69Trending at AU $48.28
- AU $30.58Trending at AU $37.64
About this product
- DescriptionIraq's contemporary image provides few clues to the magnificence and power of her past. As Mesopotamia ( land between the two rivers ), Iraq, which lies between the Tigris and Euphrates rivers, was probably the earliest centre of human civilisation. The earliest scripts, the earliest architecture, and the earliest sciences emerged here. But Mesopotamia has always been in upheaval, down to the present day. Over the past hundred years the ancient land of Mesopotamia has progressively become closed to western access. Now, the Gulf War, the decade-long embargo, and the drumbeats of ather war have all but locked the door to foreigners. Yet Gilles Munier has been able to travel extensively in this war-torn country, and he brings a refreshingly compassionate vision of the land that was once the cradle of humanity. He has visited the tomb of Islam's first martyr at Karbala, lost himself in the tiny streets of old Baghdad, and trekked to Kurdistan and the Country of the Reeds . The result is a sumptuously illustrated and impeccably documented history of the country which boasts the ruins of ancient Nineveh, Chaldea (Abraham's birthplace), Babylon, and Samara. Embark upon a voyage of discovery to the place where writing was first invented, to the city that was the center of the Arab Golden Age, to the place where much that we still are once began.
- Author BiographyGilles Munier has lived in Algeria and Morocco, and now resides in France. He is vice president of the Franco-Iraqi Institute for Economic Cooperation and he regularly organises business and cultural tours to Baghdad.
- Author(s)Gilles Munier
- PublisherArris Books
- Date of Publication13/03/2004
- SubjectRegional History
- Place of PublicationMoreton in Marsh
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintArris Books
- Content Notecolour photographs, maps
- Width128 mm
- Height210 mm
- Spine14 mm
- Photographs byErik Bonnier
Most relevant reviews
- martenrec306710 Jul, 2015by
illustrated guide with too few illustrations
it is an illustrated guide but has nowhere near enough illustrations! i am disappointed with this product, was expecting more for the $38.00 i paid. i like the glossy paper and compact size though.
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.