All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIt was a horrific car crash. On the way home from swim practice, eighteen-year old Brian Boyle's future changed in an instant when a dump truck plowed into his Camaro. He was airlifted to a shock-trauma hospital. He had lost sixty percent of his blood, his heart had moved across his chest, and his organs and pelvis were pulverized. He was placed in a medically-induced coma. When Brian finally emerged from the coma two months later, he had memory of the accident. He could see and hear, but t move or talk. Unable to communicate to his doctors, nurses, or frantic parents, he heard words like vegetable and nursing home . If he lived, doctors predicted he might t be able to walk again, and certainly t swim. Then, miraculously, Brian clawed his way back to the living. First blinking his eyelids, then squeezing a hand, then smiling, he gradually emerged from his locked-in state. The former swimmer and bodybuilder had lost one hundred pounds. Iron Heart is the first-person account of his ordeal and his miraculous comeback. With ermous fortitude he learned to walk, then run, and eventually, to swim. With his dream of competing in the Ironman Triathlon spurring him on, Brian defied all odds, and three-and-a-half years after his accident, crossed the finish line in Kona, Hawaii. Brian's inspiring journey from coma to Kona is brought to life in this memoir.
- Author BiographyBrian Boyle suffered a near fatal car accident when he was eighteen. A former swimmer and bodybuilder, he had become a human skeleton but became determined to compete in the Hawaii Ironman. In October of 2007, he realized his goal and crossed the finish line in Kona. NBC television covered him during the triathlon. In 2008, Men's Health magazine named Boyle one of its twenty heroes. He's currently a student at St. Mary's College in Maryland. Bill Katovsky is editor, author, and coauthor of several books, including Embedded: The Media at War in Iraq, which won Harvard's Goldsmith Book Prize. He's finished the Hawaii Ironman twice and is founder of Triathlete Magazine. He lives in NOrthern California.
- Author(s)Brian Boyle
- PublisherSkyhorse Publishing
- Date of Publication15/12/2011
- SubjectTrue Stories
- Place of PublicationNew York, NY
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSkyhorse Publishing
- Weight446 g
- Width150 mm
- Height230 mm
- Spine20 mm
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $17.95Trending at AU $23.55
- AU $32.88Trending at AU $36.70
- AU $37.69Trending at AU $48.07
- AU $30.58Trending at AU $37.48
- AU $44.08Trending at AU $51.53
- AU $23.80Trending at AU $32.83
- AU $16.92Trending at AU $19.26
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.