All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionMilt Gross (1895-1953), a Bronx-born cartoonist and animator, first found fame in the late 1920s, writing comic strips and newspaper columns in the unmistakable accent of Jewish immigrants. By the end of the 1920s, Gross had become one of the most famous humorists in the United States, his work drawing praise from writers like H. L. Mencken and Constance Roarke, even while some of his Jewish colleagues found Gross' extreme renderings of Jewish accents to be more crass than comical. Working during the decline of vaudeville and the rise of the newspaper cartoon strip, Gross captured American humor in transition. Gross adapted the sounds of ethnic humor from the stage to the page and developed both a sound and a sensibility that grew out of an intimate kwledge of immigrant life. His parodies of beloved poetry sounded like reading primers set loose on the Lower East Side, while his accounts of Jewish tenement residents echoed with the mistakes and malapropisms born of the immigrant experience. Introduced by an historical essay, Is Diss a System? presents some of the most outstanding and hilarious examples of Jewish dialect humor drawn from the five books Gross published between 1926 and 1928-Nize Baby, De Night in de Front from Chreesmas, Hiawatta, Dunt Esk, and Famous Fimmales-providing a fresh opportunity to look, read, and laugh at this nearly forgotten forefather of American Jewish humor.
- Author BiographyAri Y. Kelman is Assistant Professor of American Studies at University of California, Davis. He is the author of Station Identification: A Cultural History of Yiddish Radio in the United States.
- PublisherNew York University Press
- Date of Publication09/12/2009
- SubjectDesign & Commercial Art
- Series TitleGoldstein-Goren Series in American Jewish History
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintNew York University Press
- Content Note120 illustrations
- Weight445 g
- Width3226 mm
- Height5182 mm
- Spine24 mm
- Edited byAri Y. Kelman
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $47.31Trending at AU $49.44
- AU $77.99Trending at AU $116.29
- AU $28.58Trending at AU $31.02
- AU $70.17Trending at AU $77.15
- AU $74.43Trending at AU $76.94
- AU $35.45Trending at AU $39.03
- AU $26.74Trending at AU $37.56
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.