All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWhen Bantam Books first published Ishmael, a cult was born. Winner of the Turner Tomorrow Award -- a prize for fiction that offered solutions to global problems -- it was an utterly unique story that earned raves from readers and critics alike. By the time the mass market paperback edition of this vel was published last year, word was spreading like wildfire. Now this irresistible vel of a spiritual adventure is available in trade paperback for the first time ever. The narrator of this extraordinary tale is a man in search of truth. He answers an ad in a local newspaper from a teacher looking for serious pupils only to find himself alone in an abandonded office with a full-grown gorilla who is nibbling delicately on a slender branch. you are the teacher? he asks, incredulously. I am the teacher, the gorilla replies. Ishmael is a creature of immense wisdom and he has a story to tell.... As readers everywhere seek out books that offer answers to their burning questions about spirituality, the popularity of this remarkable vel continues to grow at an astounding pace. As suspenseful, inventive and socially urgent as any fiction or nfiction book you are likely to read this or any other year. -- The Austin Chronicle. Wonderfully eamest and engaging. Think of Robert Pirsig in Zen And The Art Of Motorcycle Maintenance or B.F. Skinner in Walden Two. -- Los Angeles Times Book Review. Daniel Quinn lives in Austin, Texas.
- Author BiographyDaniel Quinn grew up in Omaha, Nebraska, and studied at St. Louis University, the University of Vienna, and Loyola University of Chicago. He worked in Chicago-area publishing for twenty years before beginning work on the book for which he is best known, Ishmael. In 1991, this book was chosen from among some 2,500 international entrants in the Turner Tomorrow competition to win the half-million dollar prize for a novel offering creative and positive solutions to global problems. It has subsequently sold more than a million copies in English, is available in some thirty languages, and has been used in high schools and colleges worldwide in courses as varied as philosophy, geography, ecology, archaeology, history, biology, zoology, anthropology, political science, economics, and sociology. Subsequent works include Providence, The Story of B, My Ishmael: A Sequel, Beyond Civilization, After Dachau, The Holy, and most recently At Woomeroo, a collection of short stories. He currently lives with his wife in Houston.
- Author(s)Daniel Quinn
- PublisherBantam Doubleday Dell Publishing Group Inc
- Date of Publication01/05/1995
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintBantam Doubleday Dell Publishing Group
- Out-of-print date24/11/2015
- Weight248 g
- Width136 mm
- Height210 mm
- Spine19 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (UK)
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $20.36Trending at AU $30.69
- AU $68.55Trending at AU $73.22
- AU $19.97Trending at AU $22.86
- AU $18.21Trending at AU $22.04
- AU $13.21Trending at AU $15.00
- AU $13.16Trending at AU $13.67
- AU $12.36Trending at AU $14.06
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.