All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $3.76Trending at AU $7.37
- AU $27.80Trending at AU $30.75
- AU $21.95Trending at AU $26.80
- AU $29.31Trending at AU $31.85
- AU $70.90Trending at AU $79.91
- AU $13.99Trending at AU $15.68
- AU $26.39Trending at AU $26.97
About this product
- DescriptionBassam Tibi offers a radical solution to the problems faced by Islam in a rapidly changing and globalizing world. He proposes a depoliticization of the faith and the introduction of reforms to embrace secular democracy, pluralism, civil society and individual human rights. The alternative to this is the impasse of fundamentalism. The pivotal argument is that Islam is being torn between the pressure for cultural invation and a defensive move towards the politicization of its symbols for n-religious ends.
- Author BiographyBASSAM TIBI was born in Damascus and educated in Germany. He has been Professor of International Relations at the University of Goettingen since 1973 (between 1982-2004 in a variety of affiliations at Harvard, the latest 'The Harvard Bosch Fellow'). Professor Tibi lectured and taught at more than 30 universities in four continents including Khartum,Yaounde/Cameroun, Ankara and the Middle East, more recently at the Islamic State University of Jakarta, Indonesia. Since 2004 he has held the A.D. White Professorship-at-large at Cornell University. Professor Tibi is author of numerous books in English and German translated into 13 languages. Among these books are Arab Nationalism (3rd edition 1997), Conflict and War in the Middle East (2nd edition 1998) and The Challenge of Fundamentalism (updated edition 2002). He is also contributor to International Herald Tribune and Wall Street Journal and to leading German press. The President of Germany awarded him the highest decoration of the state/first class for his contribution for a better understanding of Islam in Germany.
- Author(s)Bassam Tibi
- PublisherPalgrave USA
- Date of Publication31/08/2005
- SubjectNon-Christian Religions
- Place of PublicationGordonsville
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintPalgrave Macmillan
- Content Notebiography
- Weight448 g
- Width140 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
- Edition Statement2nd Revised edition
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.