Islam Today: A Short Introduction to the Muslim World by Akbar S. Ahmed (Paperback, 1998)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $13.43+ AU $4.99 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by whattaplace
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAlthough there are over one billion Muslims in the world, and over 10 million in the West, most discussion of Islam is based on cliches or outright prejudice. This lively and compelling book sets out to bridge the gulfs of misunderstanding. Islam, argues Akbar Ahmed, does t mean the subordination of women, contempt for other religions, opposition to the modern world or 'barbaric punishments' for petty crime. But outsiders can understand the realities of Islamic tradition only by explaining its sources. Islam Today starts with the life of the Prophet Muhammad and the Qur'an's five pillars which govern the beliefs and behaviour of Muslims everywhere. In both historical and political terms, the great Ottoman, Safavid and Mughal empires have deeply marked the successor states in Turkey, Iran, Pakistan and India. Ahmed's highly accessible text is an ideal introduction for n-Muslims and Muslims alike interested in the issues facing and raised by the Muslim world.
- Author BiographyAkbar S. Ahmed is a Fellow of Selwyn College, Cambridge, and has been a Visiting Professor at Princeton and Harvard Universities. He is the author of numerous books and articles.
- Author(s)Akbar S. Ahmed
- PublisherI.B.Tauris & Co Ltd
- Date of Publication31/12/1998
- SubjectSociology & Anthropology: Professional
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Weight249 g
- Width138 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine19 mm
- Edition StatementRevised edition
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $85.57
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $72.97
- AU $74.00Trending at AU $85.24
- AU $46.35Trending at AU $48.13
- AU $81.00Trending at AU $84.05
- AU $20.00Trending at AU $28.33
- AU $31.65Trending at AU $34.30
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.