All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $12.99Trending at AU $19.18
- AU $61.30Trending at AU $72.99
- AU $26.40Trending at AU $33.42
- AU $28.11Trending at AU $30.32
- AU $36.83Trending at AU $37.88
- AU $50.16Trending at AU $55.28
- AU $14.43Trending at AU $22.77
About this product
- DescriptionWebb was one of the first converts to Islam in America. He opened one of the first Islamic reading rooms, published numerous pamphlets on Islam, edited the first American Islamic journal and newspaper, and served as Turkish emissary to the United States. His writing presents a philosophic, thoughtful Islam that can appeal to both the scholar and the common man and shows that Islam is the answer to the social ills of this nation. This work contains his texts Islam in America, Namaz, and the Armenia Troubles. Also included are his speeches from the 1893 World Parliament of Religions.
- Author BiographyAlexander Russell Webb (1846-1916) has the distinction of being the first known American convert to Islam to conduct a major effort to spread Islam within the United States. Born in Hudson, New York, he had a short journalistic career as editor of the St. Joseph Gazette and Missouri Republican. In 1887 he was appointed American consul at Manila. There he befriended several Indian Muslim businessmen and studied works about Islam. In 1888 he declared in a pamphlet his conversion to Islam. He resigned from the consular service in 1892 and returned to the U. S. by way of Singapore, Penang, Rangoon, and a number of cities in India. Webb established an office in New York City as the Oriental Publishing Co. In May, 1893, he published the first issue of the Moslem World, Devoted to the Interests of the American Islamic Propaganda, the earliest Islamic missionary periodical in America. In connection with his American Mission, as Webb called it, he wrote a number of books and pamphlets among which were several of his lectures in India that were published there during 1892-1893.
- Author(s)Muhammad Alexander Russell Webb
- PublisherCreatespace Independent Publishing Platform
- Date of Publication06/06/2011
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectNon-Christian Religions
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintCreatespace Independent Publishing Platform
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight268 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine10 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.