All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn the hysteria surrounding Political Islam, it is difficult to find analysis that doesn't feel the need to justify the existence of Islamic leaders or react to the West's fear of 'extremists'. In Islamic Activists, Deina Ali Abdelkader shows us what Islamic leaders and activists believe and what they think about just governance. Explaining and comparing Islamist ideas, including those about leadership, justice and mirity rights, Abdelkader explains how these have been represented in the writings of important historical and contemporary Islamists. In doing so, Abdelkader reveals that democracy is t the sole preserve of those who support Enlightenment values, offering the reader a chance to understand the populist n-violent side of Islamic activism. This includes an examination of the ideas of the leaders of the populist Islamist movements in Egypt, Tunisia and Morocco. Islamic Activists is essential reading for serious students and scholars of Islamic political theory and action.
- Author BiographyDeina Ali Abdelkader has taught at the University of Massachusetts-Lowell, Tufts University and Cairo University. She is a member of the Islamic Jurisprudential Council of North America and an executive committee member of Religion and Politics in the American Political Science Association (2004-6).
- Author(s)Deina Ali Abdelkader
- PublisherPluto Press
- Date of Publication04/03/2011
- SubjectPolitics: General & Reference
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPluto Press
- Weight181 g
- Width129 mm
- Height198 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (UK)
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $46.25Trending at AU $49.65
- AU $3.73Trending at AU $7.41
- AU $27.04Trending at AU $31.41
- AU $70.90Trending at AU $78.37
- AU $25.16Trending at AU $27.12
- AU $20.50Trending at AU $24.20
- AU $22.60Trending at AU $23.15
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.