All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAlthough it is among the smallest of Georgia's Golden Isles, Jekyll Island boasts a depth of history rivaling that of its larger neighbours. The island embraces two National Historic Landmarks, a listing reserved for the nation's most significant treasures. More than fifty archaeological sites have been excavated on Jekyll; others remain unexplored, including an Indian burial mound discovered recently on the grounds of a beachfront motel. Written in a lively, accessible style by Jingle Davis and lavishly illustrated with photographs by Benjamin Galland, Island Passages is a solid work of public history that presents a carefully researched document of Jekyll Island, Georgia, from its geologic beginning as a shifting sand spit to its present-day ownership by the state of Georgia. While many books have been published about Jekyll, most focus on specific erasor episodes of island history-such as the Jekyll Island Club, the landing of the slaveship Wanderer, and the DuBign family dynasty. Davis and Galland's book makes an important contribution to the island's literature because it synthesizes all these aspects into a comprehensive and beautifully executed history that will appeal to coastal and island history aficionados and the general reader alike.
- Author BiographyJingle Davis is a retired journalist who worked for the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, often covering south Georgia and the coast, USA. Benjamin Galland is a photographer and partner with h2o Creative Group in Brunswick, Georgia, USA. Davis and Galland previously collaborated on Island Time An Illustrated History of St. Simons Island, Georgia (Georgia, 2013). Both are St. Simons Island natives.
- Author(s)Jingle Davis
- PublisherUniversity of Georgia Press
- Date of Publication30/05/2016
- LanguageEnglish & English
- SubjectPeople & Places: General
- Place of PublicationGeorgia
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Georgia Press
- Content Note200 colour and black & white photographs
- Weight1383 g
- Width254 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine25 mm
- Photographs byBenjamin Galland
Save on Textbooks
- AU $26.38Trending at AU $38.34
- AU $53.09Trending at AU $59.37
- AU $28.52Trending at AU $29.71
- AU $28.02Trending at AU $30.82
- AU $30.98Trending at AU $40.27
- AU $11.31Trending at AU $14.92
- AU $25.62Trending at AU $33.09
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.