All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionHow did the British come to conquer South Asia in the late eighteenth and early nineteenth centuries? Answers to this question usually start in rthern India, neglecting the dramatic events that marked Britain's contemporaneous subjugation of the island of Sri Lanka. In Islanded , Sujit Sivasundaram reconsiders the arrival of British rule in South Asia as a dynamic and unfinished process of territorialization and state building, revealing that the British colonial project was framed by the island's traditions and maritime placement and built in part on the model they provided. Using palm-leaf manuscripts from Sri Lanka to read the official colonial archive, Sivasundaram tells the story of two sets of islanders in combat and collaboration. He explores how the British organized the process of islanding, aiming to create a separable unit of colonial governance and trade in keeping with conceptions of ethlogy, culture, and geography. But rather than serving as a radical rupture, he reveals, islanding recycled traditions the British learned from Kandy, a kingdom in the Sri Lankan highlands whose customs - from strategies of war to views of nature - fascinated the British. Picking up a range of unusual themes, from migration, orientalism, and ethgraphy to botany, medicine, and education, Islanded is an engaging retelling of the advent of British rule.
- Author BiographySujit Sivasundaram is University Lecturer in World and Imperial History since 1500 and fellow of Gonville and Caius College, University of Cambridge. He is the author of Nature and the Godly Empire: Science and Evangelical Mission in the Pacific, 1795-1850.
- Author(s)Sujit Sivasundaram
- PublisherThe University of Chicago Press
- Date of Publication27/08/2013
- SubjectHistory: Specific Subjects
- Place of PublicationChicago, IL
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Chicago Press
- Content Note33 halftones, 2 maps
- Weight635 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine25 mm
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.88Trending at AU $71.29
- AU $32.44Trending at AU $38.14
- AU $45.07Trending at AU $52.06
- AU $33.00Trending at AU $35.68
- AU $20.16Trending at AU $25.71
- AU $30.12Trending at AU $32.49
- AU $28.45Trending at AU $29.55
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.