All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.30Trending at AU $72.68
- AU $82.00Trending at AU $98.73
- AU $36.78Trending at AU $37.91
- AU $50.16Trending at AU $55.33
- AU $33.32Trending at AU $36.03
- AU $18.16Trending at AU $21.03
- AU $25.01Trending at AU $27.16
About this product
- DescriptionThis revised edition features the original illustrations by Peter Mitcham.Culled from her collectionsOffshore IslandsandParadise or Purgatory(1984), New Brunswick Islandsis part ecocritical exploration and part historical survey, as Mitcham explores the province s t-so-far-off islands in search of their unique stories. The result is an extraordinary collection of essays that illuminates the social and cultural histories behind New Brunswick s islands. Exposed are the complexities of island history, from the Aboriginal peoples of Indian Island to the generations of lighthouse keeping on Miscou, to the tragic quarantine history of Passamaquoddy s Hospital Island (Partridge Island). Industrious islands, from the once-lucrative quarries of Grindstone Island, to the still-flourishing fisheries of Grand Manan are also investigated, as well as the mysterious histories behind the w-uninhabited Heron and Shediac Islands, which have largely been reclaimed by nature.
- Author BiographyAllison Mitcham taught English for many years at the Universite de Moncton and has published widely in history, geography, and literature. She is the author of a number of popular books, including Taku: The Heart of North America s Last Great Wilderness, which was awarded the BC Lieutenant-Governor s Medal for Historical Writing and a prize from the British Columbia Historical Federation. More recently, she has published various English translations of French children s books, a book of short stories, and three novels. She lives in Sackville, New Brunswick.
- Author(s)Allison Mitcham
- PublisherNimbus Publishing (CN)
- Date of Publication07/01/2014
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectRegional History
- Country of PublicationCanada
- ImprintNimbus Publishing (CN)
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight181 g
- Width137 mm
- Height208 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.