All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.18
- AU $13.90Trending at AU $17.77
- AU $94.90Trending at AU $97.55
- AU $29.08Trending at AU $33.18
- AU $30.74Trending at AU $37.24
- AU $23.06Trending at AU $32.85
- AU $71.09Trending at AU $79.99
About this product
- DescriptionTrue Tales from the Pelican State-from the longest Civil War battle to one of history's worst man-made disasters Louisiana is well kwn for its spicy gumbo, Cajun music, and horrific hurricanes, but few may kw why Tarzan once swung through the piney woods, how an entrepreneur used a land auction to build a town in a day, or how one man's vision drew thousands of miracle-seekers to an empty field for over twenty years. It Happened in Louisiana goes behind the scenes to tell these stories and many more, in short episodes that reveal the intriguing people and events that have shaped the Pelican State. *Discover how a well-drilling job gone awry turned an entire freshwater lake into a 1,300-foot-deep saltwater pit-and temporarily created the state's tallest waterfall-in a matter of 48 hours. *Relive the night that a life-changing performance finally put a world-famous rock 'n' roll legend on the path to fame. *Learn the many disturbing reasons that one Louisiana prison-which today has its own radio station and annually hosts the longest-running prison rodeo in the United States-was once named the worst prison in America. *Read about a determined, compassionate doctor from New Orleans who created a place of refuge and healing in his attempt to cure societal castaways who suffered from the illness you do t talk about. Bonnye Stuart is a tenth-generation New Orleanian who got her B.A. at Louisiana State University and her M.A. from the University of New Orleans. She is the author of It Happened in New Orleans, More than Petticoats: Remarkable Louisiana Women, and Louisiana Curiosities (all Globe Pequot Press) and Discovering Vintage New Orleans and Haunted New Orleans (both Rowman & Littlefield) and she lives in Tega Cay, SC.
- Author BiographyBonnye Stuart is a ninth-generation New Orleans, Louisiana, native. She got her BA in advertising from the Manship School of Journalism at Louisiana State University and received her MA in communication from the University of New Orleans. She has been teaching at the university level for 26 years and at Winthrop University for 14 years. She teaches public relations, corporate communication, and international communication in the Department of Mass Communication. Before teaching she worked as a public relations professional for both for-profit and nonprofit organizations. She has had short stories, poems, and historically based stories and biographies published and has had several plays produced. Stuart is the author of It Happened in New Orleans, More than Petticoats: Remarkable Louisiana Women, and Louisiana Curiosities (all Globe Pequot) and Discovering Vintage New Orleans and Haunted New Orleans (both Rowman & Littlefield). She enjoys travel and viewing the world from various global perspectives. She has interviewed PR professionals in France, England, Greece, Thailand, and Singapore. Her research interests focus on the power of media images, specifically their early influence on the Troubles of Northern Ireland and their role as agent for social change. She is married to Laurence P. Stuart, and they have four married children and 10 grandchildren.
- Author(s)Bonnye E. Stuart
- PublisherRowman & Littlefield
- Date of Publication03/09/2015
- SubjectRegional History
- Series TitleIt Happened in America
- Place of PublicationOld Saybrook
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintGlobe Pequot Press
- Content Note1 maps
- Weight14 g
- Width154 mm
- Height203 mm
- Spine11 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.