All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis title explores the wealth of Italian Cinema from the mid-50s to the end of the 60s. Unlike France, the Czech Republic or Brazil, Italy did t have a new wave properly understood as a movement. However, while new artistic schools were emerging in many other countries, Italy was undergoing its most dramatic social and ecomic transformations. Those violent changes, together with the perceived necessity of renewing the aesthetic heritage of Neorealism, sparked a drastic regeneration of the cinematic language and marked the most memorable period of Italian film history. Luca Barratoni explores the ferments of Italian cinema from the mid-50s to the end of the 60s, situating its wealth in the context of other national cinemas emerging at the same time. Olmi, Pasolini, Antonioni, Fellini, Visconti, the Taviani Brothers, Cavani, Rosi, Ferreri and many others all made their debut or directed their most representative works during the period. The book brings to the surface the lines of experimentation and artistic renewal appearing after the exhaustion of Neorealism, mapping complex areas of interest such as the emergence of ethical concerns, the relationship between ideology and representation, and the role of Italian counter-culture.
- Author BiographyDr Luca Barattoni is an Assistant Professor of Italian at Clemson University (US).
- Author(s)Luca Barattoni
- PublisherEdinburgh University Press
- Date of Publication09/10/2012
- SubjectFilm, TV & Radio
- Series TitleTraditions in World Cinema
- Place of PublicationEdinburgh
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintEdinburgh University Press
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight689 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Series Edited byLinda Badley,R. Barton Palmer
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.30Trending at AU $72.68
- AU $82.00Trending at AU $98.73
- AU $36.78Trending at AU $37.91
- AU $50.16Trending at AU $55.33
- AU $33.33Trending at AU $36.03
- AU $25.08Trending at AU $33.69
- AU $19.84Trending at AU $28.46
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.