Save on Textbooks
- AU $13.75Trending at AU $17.77
- AU $69.53Trending at AU $85.78
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.10
- AU $35.12Trending at AU $54.44
- AU $17.60Trending at AU $22.00
- AU $29.91Trending at AU $39.03
- AU $35.62Trending at AU $37.37
About this product
- DescriptionIn December 2011 an international conference took place in Oxford to celebrate the 150th anniversary of the birth of Italo Svevo, and to take stock of the continuing influence exerted by his work at the start of the third millennium. With over 100 participants from all over the world, the conference represented a unique moment of reflection and exchange of ideas among the foremost Svevo specialists. Resulting from that meeting, the 38 papers included in this two volume publication represent the cream of current scholarship on one of the best kwn (in Italy and abroad) among the Italian writers at the turn from the 19th to the 20th century. Svevo's masterpiece, La coscienza di Ze (1923), was one of the most significant Modernist vels, admired by the likes of J. Joyce, T. Mann and E. Montale, and has become one of the major narrative works in the Italian language. Taking advantage of the unique richness of the cultural background of its Triestine author and drawing abundantly from the Germanic philosophical tradition (Schopenhauer in particular), the vel was also one of the very first works of fiction to dialogue with Freudian discourse and with Darwinian theories, at the same time effecting a true revolution in terms of literary style; its legacy (as shown by several contributors) is visible in terms of direct and indirect influence on many Italian and n-Italian writers in the course of the 20th century, and beyond. These two volumes will be an indispensable companion to the work of all those (students, teachers, researchers, or simple readers) who wish to understand the momentous transformations taking place in Italy and in Europe at the dawn of the past century and leading to the two World Wars and the shaping of new models of society. Svevo's work is t only a mirror of his own time from an unusual and particularly revealing perspective, but also an exceptionally lucid analysis of the fundamental questions elicited by those changes, and their effects on human behaviour.
- Author BiographyGiuseppe Stellardi's main research interests lie in modern Italian literature, literary theory and continental philosophy. He has published on Dossi, Tarchetti, Svevo, Gadda, Moravia, Morante and Eco. He has also worked on Deconstruction (Derrida) and on metaphor. He is currently working on a book on time in 20th century Italian literature. Emanuela Tandello Cooper specialises in modern and contemporary Italian poetry. She is currently working on a major project on the poetry of Giacomo Leopardi, and has also translated and published the work of Canadian poet Anne Carson, in Italy.
- Author(s)Giuseppe Stellardi
- PublisherTroubador Publishing
- Date of Publication28/06/2014
- SubjectLiterary Theory
- Series TitleTroubador Italian Studies
- Place of PublicationLeicester
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight435 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine17 mm
- Edited byEmanuela Tandello Cooper
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.