All listings for this product
Save on Textbooks
- AU $26.38Trending at AU $37.71
- AU $53.09Trending at AU $58.40
- AU $28.52Trending at AU $29.22
- AU $28.02Trending at AU $30.32
- AU $30.98Trending at AU $39.61
- AU $11.31Trending at AU $14.70
- AU $25.62Trending at AU $32.55
About this product
- DescriptionSoul! was where Stevie Wonder and Earth, Wind & Fire got funky, where Toni Morrison read from her debut vel, where James Baldwin and Nikki Giovanni discussed gender and power, and where Amiri Baraka and Stokely Carmichael enjoyed a sympathetic forum for their radical politics. Broadcast on public television between 1968 and 1973, Soul!, helmed by pioneering producer and frequent host Ellis Haizlip, connected an array of black performers and public figures with a black viewing audience. In It's Been Beautiful, Gayle Wald tells the story of Soul!, casting this influential but overlooked program as a bold and invative use of television to represent and critically explore black identity, culture, and feeling during a transitional period in the black freedom struggle.
- Author BiographyGayle Wald is Professor of English and American Studies at George Washington University. She is the author of Shout, Sister, Shout!: The Untold Story of Rock-and-Roll Trailblazer Sister Rosetta Tharpe, and Crossing the Line: Racial Passing in U.S. Twentieth-Century Literature and Culture.
- Author(s)Gayle Wald
- PublisherDuke University Press
- Date of Publication03/04/2015
- SubjectFilm, TV & Radio
- Series TitleSpin Offs
- Place of PublicationNorth Carolina
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintDuke University Press
- Content Note38 photographs
- Weight454 g
- Width3810 mm
- Height5334 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Format DetailsCloth over boards
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.