All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAlthough seen as a replacement for the A6M Zero-sen carrier-based fighter, the Mitsubishi J2M Raiden was actually designed as a land-based naval interceptor optimised for speed rather than maeuvrability. Engine cooling problems for its Mitsubishi Kasai 23 engine, airflow and flight control issues plagued the Raiden's development, but despite these production delays, aces Sadaaki Akamatsu Yoshihiro Aoki, Susumu Ito and Susumu Ishihara all claimed significant scores in the Raiden. Kawanishi's N1K family of fighters were privately developed by the manufacturer from the N1K Kyofu floatplane fighter. Again plagued by structural and engine maladies, the N1K1-J Shiden eventually entered frontline service in time to see considerable action in the doomed defence of the Philippines in October 1944. Despite suffering heavy losses, the units equipped with new fighter proved that the N1K could more than hold its own against P-38s and F6Fs. The improved N1K2-J Shiden-KAI started to reach the frontline by late 1944 - in time for defence of the Home Islands. Here, it proved to be the best IJN fighter of the war.
- Author BiographyYasuho Izawa is an ophthalmic optician whose past works include co-authoring Japanese Army Air Force Fighter Units and their Aces 1931-45, Japanese Naval Air Force Fighter Units and their Aces 1932-45 and Bloody Shambles Vols 1 and 2. He lives in Tokyo. Jim Laurier is a native of New England, growing up in New Hampshire and Massachusetts. He has been drawing since he could hold a pencil and throughout his life he has worked in many mediums creating artwork on a variety of subjects. He has worked on the Osprey Aviation list since 2000, and in that time he has produced some of the finest artwork seen in these volumes.
- Author(s)Tony Holmes,Yasuho Izawa
- PublisherBloomsbury Publishing PLC
- Date of Publication21/04/2016
- SubjectMilitary History
- Series TitleAircraft of the Aces
- Series Part/Volume Number129
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintOsprey Publishing
- Content Note90 b/w; 34 col
- Weight309 g
- Width184 mm
- Height248 mm
- Spine7 mm
- Illustrator(s)Jim Laurier
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.88Trending at AU $71.29
- AU $32.44Trending at AU $38.14
- AU $45.07Trending at AU $52.06
- AU $33.00Trending at AU $35.68
- AU $20.16Trending at AU $25.71
- AU $30.12Trending at AU $32.49
- AU $28.45Trending at AU $29.55
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.