Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $32.00Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by wordery
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $17.83Free postage
- Very good condition
- Sold by worldofbooks-australia
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $60.69Trending at AU $73.28
- AU $82.00Trending at AU $99.54
- AU $20.38Trending at AU $26.08
- AU $50.16Trending at AU $55.78
- AU $33.32Trending at AU $36.33
- AU $36.16Trending at AU $49.55
- AU $18.16Trending at AU $21.18
About this product
- DescriptionOver a century ago a series of shocking mutilation murders took place in a squalid, overcrowded district of Victorian London. Five women fell victim to a man driven by rage and violent fantasy. The newspapers of the day gave him a chilling nickname, a name that evokes images of gas-lit foggy streets and a top-hatted sinister figure carrying a Gladstone bag. From the outset, the murderer attained almost mythical status merely by virtue of his name and his uncanny ability to avoid detection. The legend of Jack the Ripper was born. Peter Hodgson's detailed and entertaining overview of Ripper lore in fact, film and fiction analyses the fiend's awesome legacy. He explores the institutions and the individuals: the Jewish community and their rituals with meat, the scandal-prone royal family, the Victorian police and their simplistic methods of investigation, the streetwalkers and their trade. This book compares the fiction with the reality of those ghastly events, and clearly shows how the real killer has been transformed into a creature of the mind-the 'other' Jack the Ripper. Examination of the victims' mutilations reveals the true nature of 'Jack's' grotesque fantasies. This aspect-coupled with his elementary anatomical kwledge-is used in conjunction with the FBI's appraisal of the case to construct a unique psychological profile. From the long list of candidates the author reveals his prime suspect for the role of the world's most infamous serial killer.
- Author BiographyPeter Hodgson was born in October 1955 in the Lancashire City of Preston. He was educated at Ashton High School and after leaving he studied at W R Tuson College and later Poulton Teacher Training College. In the 1970s he obtained a job as an energy analyst for a major nuclear establishment in the North-West of England. During his school years he became engrossed in crime fiction and true-life crime - an interest that developed from reading Sherlock Holmes stories. He started writing at an early age and is now the proud author of a crime thriller and non-fiction book about the infamous Jack the Ripper, both published by Pneuma Springs. Peter is currently working on a crime thriller - a harrowing account of one man's search for a forensically aware serial killer. (The author is available for telephone interviews during evenings Monday to Thursday.)
- Author(s)Peter Hodgson
- PublisherPneuma Springs Publishing
- Date of Publication26/08/2011
- SubjectTrue Crime
- Place of PublicationDartford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPS Thriller
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight287 g
- Width148 mm
- Height210 mm
- Spine12 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.