Michigan was t yet a state in July 1829 when Horace Blackman of Berkshire, New York, arrived in Ann Arbor to visit his friend Jonathan F. Stratton, who advised Blackman to make a location claim in a new county that had just been surveyed west of Washtenaw County. Blackman began traveling with Capt. Alexander Laverty, a woodsman and land surveyor, and Pee-wy-tum, a Native American guide. Along the way, they came to the mouth of the St. Joseph Indian Trail, which crossed the Grand River. The earliest pioneers of Jackson stayed there for the first night at what are w Jackson and Trail Streets. The town was first called Jacksopolis. Later, it was renamed Jacksonburgh. Finally, in 1838, the town s name was changed to simply Jackson.