All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIsaiah Berlin, in his Tribute to a Friend, wrote about the historian Jacob L. Talmon (19161980): No matter what his theoretical interests were, or the topics on which he was lecturing or writing, his deepest concern was with the Jewish people, its history, its religious, moral and social values, its place among the nations, its future in Israel and the diaspora. These words capture the essence of Talmons political essays presented in Mission and Testimony. Talmon was chosen by an international committee of scholars as one of the twenty major historians of the twentieth century, declaring that his historiography was a convincing apologia for human freedom. He owes his fame primarily to his magnum opus, the trilogy that began with The Origins of Totalitarian Democracy (1952), continued with Political Messianism (1960) and concluded with The Myth of the Nation and the Vision of Revolution (1981). This edited collection of Talmons essays comprises the following: Part I, The Nature of Jewish history, deals with the Jewish presence in history, the universal significance of Jewish history, and the impact of Jewish intellectuals. Part II, From Anti-Semitism to the Holocaust, concerns the anti-Semitic climate of opinion that led to the Holocaust. Part III depicts the regional and global situation of the State of Israel. In Part IV, Intellectual and Political Debates, Talmon confronts intellectuals and statesmen such as Arld Toynbee and Menachem Begin. Part V, Profiles in History, depicts the intellectual portraits of the historian Lewis Namier and the physicist and champion of human rights Andrei Sakharov.
- Author BiographyDavid Ohana is a full professor of history at Ben-Gurion University of the Negev. His areas of research include the intellectual and cultural history of modern Europe, Mediterranean studies, and Israeli identity. He studied under Jacob Talmon at the Hebrew University, Jerusalem, and was a fellow at the Sorbonne, Harvard and Berkeley. Among his many books are the trilogy The Nihilist Order (Sussex Academic Press) and The Origins of Israeli.
- Author(s)David Ohana
- PublisherSussex Academic Press
- Date of Publication01/07/2015
- SubjectRegional History
- Place of PublicationBrighton
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintSussex Academic Press
- Weight596 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine23 mm
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.25
- AU $13.75Trending at AU $17.80
- AU $69.53Trending at AU $85.96
- AU $17.60Trending at AU $22.27
- AU $34.66Trending at AU $36.07
- AU $29.91Trending at AU $39.11
- AU $50.46Trending at AU $57.09
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.