All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAges 8 to 14 years. In the 1700s, the voyages of British Captain James Cook shed light on what life was really like in the uncharted Pacific. Hired to seek an undiscovered continent kwn by astromers and geographers as Terra Australis Incognita, or unkwn southern land, Cook proved that it didn't exist, dramatically changing Europeans' understanding of their world. Young readers will also be fascinated by Cook's encounters of the cultures of the native peoples of Tahiti and Hawaii. A recipe from the period is also included. Topics include: Cook's youth as an apprentice and early training in the British Royal Navy; a map of Cook's routes; the discovery of Tahiti, Hawaii, Australia, and New Zealand; customs of the native peoples, including the Kaua'i, Maori, and Tahitians; Cook's ships, the Adventure and the Resolution; the responsibilities of the crew and how they coped with illnesses such as scurvy; a fun-to-make recipe from the period; the long-awaited transit of Venus; the findings of the Royal Geographic Society.
- Author(s)R. A. Beales
- PublisherCrabtree Publishing Co,Canada
- Date of Publication28/02/2006
- SubjectReference & Home Learning
- Series TitleIn the Footsteps of Explorers S.
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationCanada
- ImprintCrabtree Publishing Co,Canada
- Content Notecolour photos & illus
- Weight136 g
- Width215 mm
- Height280 mm
- Spine5 mm
- Interest Age8-14
Best-selling in Other Children & Young Adults
Save on Other Children & Young Adults
- AU $49.72Trending at AU $53.57
- AU $15.95Trending at AU $18.74
- AU $7.38Trending at AU $10.61
- AU $12.80Trending at AU $17.37
- AU $13.47Trending at AU $18.20
- AU $7.51Trending at AU $12.30
- AU $10.54Trending at AU $12.92
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.