All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis is the first in-depth historical study of Jan Gossart (ca. 1478-1532), one of the most important painters of the Renaissance in rthern Europe. Providing a richly illustrated narrative of the Netherlandish artist's life and art, Marisa Anne Bass shows how Gossart's paintings were part of a larger cultural effort in the Netherlands to assert the region's ancient heritage as distinct from the antiquity and presumed cultural hegemony of Rome. Focusing on Gossart's vibrant, monumental mythological nudes, the book challenges previous interpretations by arguing that Gossart and his patrons did t slavishly imitate Italian Renaissance models but instead sought to contest the idea that the Roman past gave the Italians a mopoly on antiquity. Drawing on many previously unused primary sources in Latin, Dutch, and French, Jan Gossart and the Invention of Netherlandish Antiquity offers a fascinating new understanding of both the painter and the history of rthern European art at large.
- Author BiographyMarisa Anne Bass is assistant professor in the Art History and Archaeology Department at Washington University in St. Louis.
- Author(s)Marisa Anne Bass
- PublisherPrinceton University Press
- Date of Publication18/03/2016
- SubjectIndividual Artists / Art Monographs
- Place of PublicationNew Jersey
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- First Published2016
- ImprintPrinceton University Press
- Content Note40 color illus. 57 halftones.
- Weight885 g
- Width178 mm
- Height254 mm
- Spine23 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $12.99Trending at AU $19.24
- AU $61.30Trending at AU $73.23
- AU $26.40Trending at AU $33.52
- AU $12.82Trending at AU $13.77
- AU $36.81Trending at AU $38.00
- AU $50.16Trending at AU $55.46
- AU $20.18Trending at AU $24.41
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.