Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.88
- AU $11.51Trending at AU $18.86
- AU $24.83Trending at AU $25.37
- AU $64.07Trending at AU $75.12
- AU $31.50Trending at AU $37.08
- AU $25.48Trending at AU $28.32
- AU $9.83Trending at AU $13.35
About this product
- DescriptionBy assessing what was original in Jane Austen's fictional technique in the context of the history of the vel, Robert Miles takes a fresh look at how Austen came to be constructed as a model of Englishness. For many readers Jane Austen is the quintessential English author. Jane Austen sets out to explore the history of this identification with Englishness in the context of a tradition of criticism that has frequently tried to achieve the reverse: to establish her difference, and distance, from 'us'. Rather than simply showing how Austen differs from the heritage, Jane Austen argues that many of the reasons for her construction as an English cultural icon are to found in the works formal qualities, and often in her most invative techniques. After a review of her reception as an 'English' author, and the salient critical attempts to render her 'strange', Jane Austen moves on to consider the achievement of personality in Austin's fiction; her creative use of comic structures; her development of the vel of education; her constant balance between 'realism' and the pastoral, vel and romance; and her sophisticated, and, to an extent, vel use of free indirect speech.
- Author BiographyRobert Miles is a Professor of English at Sheffield Hallam University. He is the author of many publications including Ann Radcliffe: The Great Enchantress (MUP, 1995.) and Gothic Writing 1750-1820: A Genealogy (Routledge, 1993)
- Author(s)Robert Miles
- PublisherNorthcote House Publishers Ltd
- Date of Publication07/01/2003
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Series TitleWriters & Their Work
- Place of PublicationTavistock
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintNorthcote House Publishers Ltd
- Content NoteIll.
- Weight270 g
- Width135 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine13 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.