All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionOver the last 20 years, ethnic mirity groups have been increasingly featured in Japanese Films. However, the way these groups are presented has t been a subject of investigation. This study examines the representation of so-called Others - foreigners, ethnic mirities, and Okinawans - in Japanese cinema. By combining textual and contextual analysis, this book analyses the narrative and visual style of films of contemporary Japanese cinema in relation to their social and historical context of production and reception. Mika Ko considers the ways in which 'multicultural' sentiments have emerged in contemporary Japanese cinema. In this respect, Japanese films may be seen t simply to have 'reflected' more general trends within Japanese society but to have played an active role in constructing and communicating different versions of multiculturalism. In particular, the book is concerned with how representations of 'otherness' in contemporary Japanese cinema may be identified as reinforcing or subverting dominant discourses of 'Japaneseness'. the author book also illuminates the ways in which Japanese films have engaged in the dramatisation and elaboration of ideas and attitudes surrounding contemporary Japanese nationalism and multiculturalism. By locating contemporary Japanese cinema in a social and political context, Japanese Cinema and Otherness makes an original contribution to scholarship on Japanese film study but also to bridging the gap between Japanese studies and film studies.
- Author BiographyMika Ko is a lecturer at the School of East-Asian Studies, University of Sheffield in England. Her research interests are in Japanese cinema and East-Asian cinema more generally.
- Author(s)Mika Ko
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication14/12/2009
- SubjectFilm, TV & Radio
- Series TitleSheffield Centre for Japanese Studies/Routledge Series
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note9 black & white illustrations, 9 black & white halftones
- Weight476 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Format DetailsPaper over boards
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $17.90Trending at AU $23.55
- AU $62.03Trending at AU $75.38
- AU $32.88Trending at AU $36.70
- AU $37.69Trending at AU $48.07
- AU $30.58Trending at AU $37.48
- AU $17.45Trending at AU $19.79
- AU $44.07Trending at AU $51.53
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.