All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $47.39Trending at AU $48.86
- AU $74.54Trending at AU $75.65
- AU $22.13Trending at AU $22.74
- AU $35.53Trending at AU $38.58
- AU $31.31Trending at AU $37.07
- AU $17.66Trending at AU $22.78
- AU $37.61Trending at AU $38.34
About this product
- DescriptionThis is the story of Japanese design, told through works selected from the collection of The Museum of Modern Art, New York.The Museum of Modern Art, New York, and 5 Continents Editions present a new series dedicated to industrial and graphic design. Each volume, beautifully designed and with superbly printed reproductions, offers an overview of a single country's design achievements and illustrates its particular design history and aesthetic, showcasing prominent architects and designers through exemplary works drawn from MoMA's unmatched collection. Each volume contains an introduction by Paola Antonelli, Senior Curator in the Department of Architecture and Design at MoMA, and an illustrated essay by a distinguished design critic, accompanied by a visual timeline of significant events and a comprehensive bibliography.Japanese designers' special ability to combine aesthetic tradition with contemporary visual culture and material invation has created a distinctive and exceptionally successful design industry in Japan, which has produced such divergent icons of modern design as Sori Yanagi's Butterfly Stool , the Sony Walkman, the Honey-Pop Armchair , by Tokujin Yoshioka, and the Toyota Prius. This book traces the development of Japanese design from the country's craft revival in the early twentieth century to the extraordinary objects of high techlogy that have been a specialty of Japanese designers since midcentury. Paola Antonelli's lively introduction provides an overview of Japan's design culture; an essay and timeline by Penny Sparke illuminate the masterpieces of modern Japanese design that are superbly reproduced in the volume's plate section.
- Author BiographyPenny Sparke is Pro Vice-Chancellor in the Arts at Kingston University, UK. She is also the author of Elsie De Wolfe: The Birth of Modern Decoration and The Modern Interior. Paola Antonelli is Senior Curator in the Department of Architecture and Design at The Museum of Modern Art, where she has worked since 1994.
- PublisherFive Continents Editions
- Date of Publication01/04/2009
- SubjectDesign & Commercial Art
- Series TitleMoMA Design Series
- Place of PublicationMilan
- Country of PublicationItaly
- ImprintFive Continents Editions
- Content Note100 colour illustrations
- Weight600 g
- Width210 mm
- Height210 mm
- Introduction byPaola Antonelli
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.