All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThinking of getting a Japanese-style tattoo? Want to avoid a permanent mistake? Japanese Tattoos is an insider's look at the world of Japanese irezumi (tattoos). Japanese Tattoos explains the imagery featured in Japanese tattoos so that readers can avoid getting ink they don't understand or, worse, that they'll regret. This photo-heavy book will also trace the history of Japanese tattooing, putting the icography and kanji symbols in their proper context so readers will be better informed as to what they mean and have a deeper understanding of irezumi. Tattoos featured will range from traditional tebori (hand-poked) and kanji tattoos to anime-inspired and modern works; as well as everything in between. For the first time, Japanese tattooing will be put together in a visually attractive, informative, and authoritative way. Along with the 350+ photos of tattoos, Japanese Tattoos will also feature interviews with Japanese tattoo artists on a variety of topics. What's more, there will be interviews with clients, who are typically overlooked in similar books, allowing them to discuss what their Japanese tattoos mean to them. Those who read this informative tattoo guide will be more kwledgeable about Japanese tattoos should they want to get inked or if they are simply interested in Japanese art and culture.
- Author BiographyHori Benny was born in Minneapolis, Minnesota and moved to Japan in 2002. He began a tattoo apprenticeship in Osaka's America Mura district at Chopstick Tattoo in 2004, making his professional debut in early 2007. He specializes in full custom work of all genres and is also a student of Japanese flower arrangement. Benny currently works at Chopstick Tattoo's 2nd location near Triangle Park in downtown Osaka, but is opening his own shop: www.horibenny.com Brian Ashcraft is the Senior Contributing Editor for video game site Kotaku. Ashcraft was previously a Contributing Editor at Wired Magazine, and his work has also appeared in Popular Science, The Guardian, The Japan Times, and design journal Metropolis Magazine and in numerous publications worldwide. Ashcraft is the author of Arcade Mania! and Japanese Schoolgirl Confidential. Originally from Texas, he has called Osaka home for well over a decade.
- Author(s)Brian Ashcraft,Hori Benny
- PublisherTuttle Publishing
- Date of Publication19/07/2016
- SubjectThe Arts: General & Reference
- Country of PublicationJapan
- ImprintTuttle Publishing
- Content Note350 colour photos
- Weight612 g
- Width191 mm
- Height254 mm
- Spine18 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $60.69Trending at AU $73.28
- AU $82.00Trending at AU $99.54
- AU $20.38Trending at AU $26.08
- AU $50.16Trending at AU $55.78
- AU $33.32Trending at AU $36.33
- AU $36.16Trending at AU $49.55
- AU $18.16Trending at AU $21.18
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.