All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionNotoriously reticent about his early years, violinist Jascha Heifetz famously reduced the story of his childhood to Born in Russia. First lessons at 3. Debut in Russia at 7. Debut in Carnegie Hall at 17. That's all there is to say. Tracing his little-kwn upbringing, Jascha Heifetz: Early Years in Russia uncovers the events and experiences that shaped one of the modern era's most unique talents and enigmatic personalities. Using previously unstudied archival materials and interviews with family and friends, this biography explores Heifetz's meteoric rise in the Russian music world-from his first violin lessons with his father, to his studies at the St. Petersburg Conservatory with the well-kwn pedagogue Leopold Auer, to his tours throughout Russia and Europe. Spotlighting Auer's close-knit circle of musicians, Galina Kopytova underscores the lives of artists in Russia's Silver Age -an explosion of artistic activity amid the rapid social and political changes of the early 20th century.
- Author BiographyGalina Kopytova is a scholar and archivist specializing in the history of Russian musical culture. She heads the Office of Manuscripts of the Russian Institute for the History of the Arts in Saint Petersburg and is author of The Society for Jewish Folk Music in St. Petersburg-Petrograd (in Russian) and coauthor of From the History of Jewish Music in Russia (in Russian). Translator Alexandra Sarlo has studied and conducted research in Russia, Slovakia, Serbia, and Ukraine. Translator Dario Sarlo worked as a researcher on the documentary Jascha Heifetz: God's Fiddler by Peter Rosen Productions. He is a musicologist, violinist, and writer for The Strad.
- Author(s)Galina Kopytova
- PublisherIndiana University Press
- Date of Publication25/10/2013
- SubjectBiography: The Arts
- Series TitleRussian Music Studies
- Place of PublicationBloomington, IN
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintIndiana University Press
- Content Note77 b&w illus.
- Weight817 g
- Width3887 mm
- Height5817 mm
- Spine31 mm
- Translated byDario Sarlo,Alexandra Sarlo
- Format DetailsWith printed dust jacket
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $11.99Trending at AU $16.87
- AU $82.00Trending at AU $99.54
- AU $9.06Trending at AU $14.01
- AU $50.16Trending at AU $55.78
- AU $26.67Trending at AU $29.78
- AU $20.29Trending at AU $25.53
- AU $21.17Trending at AU $25.81
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.